Beets and Feta Cheese Salad
Beets and Feta Cheese Salad Recipe:
- Firm Feta Cheese– cut into cubes then tossed in Lemon infused Olive Oil.
- Grilled Herded Chicken– Boneless skinless chicken breast. Grill or cook in light olive oil. Cut into cubes and sprinkled with my own Poultry Seasoning Recipe (Thyme, Salt, Dried Lemon Zest, Dried Orange Zest, Dried Lime Zest, Paprika, Sumac, Nutmeg, Tarragon, Marjoram)
- Beets– red or golden if you can find them, both make for a beautiful healthy and tasty salad. Wash the beets first then place in a pot and cover with water. Add a dash of salt to keep the color from bleeding out. Bring to a boil until the beets are soft enough to insert a fork into. This can take from 30 minute to over an hour depending on the beets’ size. Remove the beets, let them cool then cut into cubes (you may want to lay paper towels or parchment paper over your cutting board so it does not get dyed pink. You may also want to use disposable gloves when handling the beets.You can use pickled beets if that is all you can find, but go fresh if possible (the nutrient levels, as well as the taste, and texture are worlds apart.)
- Fuji Apple– Any crisp apple will do, even green apples. Allumette cut (matchstick size). Place the slices in cold water and add a squeeze of lemon to prevent them from turning brown.
- Bitter Greens– I used watercress tops but arugula, spinach, or mustard greens are perfect with their crisp peppery bite.
- *Whole Almonds and Sunflower Seeds– dried edamame, soybeans, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, cashew, maybe even some toasted flax seed or flash fried quinoa.
- *Dried Cranberries– Any type of fruit works great really. Dried or fresh strawberries, blueberries, blackberries etc.
*These last two lines of ingredients can easily come from a store bought fruit and nut blend or trail mix. Maybe I will do a trail mix recipe soon…hmm*
Balsamic Vinaigrette, Wild Honey, and Strawberry Preserves Dressing Recipe:
- Fruit and Honey Balsamic Blend- This is a secret recipe. Use fresh berries or preserves (fig, apricot, blackberry or strawberry are all delicious choices). Add an overloaded tablespoon of wild honey and your favorite thick balsamic vinegar. Mix until blended.
Beets are one of the most nutritious vegetables a person can include in their diet. They are packed with tons of vitamins to help support a healthy and active lifestyle. Beets are super versatile, from eliminating garlic breath to acting as a hangover cure. Check out this link to find out more about this super food: 6 Health Benefits of Eating Beets.